Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What's in My Makeup Bag for an Overnight Trip in the City


I tend to pack too much on trips and it's because I always over-pack to prepare for any kind of mishap that may happen along the way. Since I've been downsizing and de-cluttering my life, I've also been determined to learn how to travel lightly.

Tomorrow I will be going on a short adventure into the city and won't return home until the evening after. I thought this would be a good chance to pack only the essentials.


I received this Tarte makeup roll-up styled bag from a friend as part of the Tarte Carried Away Collector's Set from the Tarte Holiday 2012 Collection. Since then, this bag has been extremely useful when traveling, because of the side pockets, large mirror, and slots for brushes and a thin eye shadow palette. Instead of packing two separate bags for my makeup and my toiletries, I've managed to use just one bag!

In the left compartment I have my makeup and in the right, my toiletries. The center slot is also a perfect fit for my makeup remover! Here are all the products I've packed:


1. Philosophy Purity One-Step Facial Cleanser (in a LUSH sample container)
2. Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 PA++ Moisturizer (sample size)
3. Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream Eyes Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Concealer
4. Maybelline Define-A-Brow Eyebrow Pencil
5. Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner
6. Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow
7. e.l.f. Studio Flat Eyeliner Brush
8. e.l.f. Studio Angled Eyeliner Brush
9. N.Y.C. New York Color Eyelash Curler
10. Josie Maran Argan Black Oil Mascara (sample size)
11. Urban Decay Travel-Size All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
12. Neutrogena Travel-Size Makeup Remover Towlettes


1. Q-Tips Cotton Swabs Purse Pack
2. Colgate Travel-Size Cavity Protection Toothpaste
3. Oral-B Travel-Size Satin Floss
4. Generic mini toothbrush
5. Extra contact lenses
6. Contact lens case pre-filled with saline solution
7. Extra hair ties

Looking at my list, it kind of seems like I have a lot of items but this is a lot less than what I would have had a year ago! All I have left to pack is one outfit for sleeping, one outfit for the next day, and probably a light sweater because I get cold easily. Oh, and I can't forget my phone charger, my hair brush, and some lip balm!

It feels good to know that I'll be okay without packing my own shampoo and conditioner, hair straightener and heat protection products, multiple eye shadow palettes and eye shadow brushes, blush and bronzer, and outfits for every weather condition imaginable. My bag will also be a lot lighter without my laptop and DSLR camera too...

I'd have to say I did a great job! :)