Monday, May 18, 2015

LUSH Ocean Salt Self-Preserving vs Ocean Salt


Okay, so I caved in and bought Ocean Salt as a celebratory treat for myself one day. I have no idea what the reason was at the time, but now I can celebrate having fabulous skin again!

I saw that LUSH came out with a self-preserving version of Ocean Salt and was thinking about buying it for quite some time but couldn't get past the color. (Beige instead of vivid blue?! Yes, I did plenty of research ahead of time.) BUT... After seeing all the great reviews about the self-preserving scrub on LUSH's website, I thought it was worth a try and so, despite the color, I bought it.


I think the color is a bit off-putting, but the Lime Soaked in Vodka smell is still there, but just a little more subtle than the original.

I guess before I go on, it is important to know what the ingredient differences between the original and the self-preserving version are. The original has 22 ingredients while the self-preserving one has 18. A key difference is the removal of lanolin, the waxy secretion that can be found in sheep wool. Here, lanolin is replaced with silken tofu, Japan wax and mango butter. They have also removed stearic acid, glycol cetearate, triethanolamine, cetearyl alcohol, methylparaben and propylparaben from the original formula, making it a kinder product for the skin.


This scrub is less gritty than the original, making it more suitable for sensitive skin. I've accepted the fact that the self-preserving scrub isn't a pretty blue, but I cannot get over the fact that it leaves a slimy residue on my skin. I will use up my tub but, because of the residue, I will not be repurchasing this in the future. The original Ocean Salt scrub is the scrub for me!