Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My Journey to Clear Skin: The Miracle Products That Worked and What I Do Now


Like many people, I suffer from acne. Fortunately, my acne is only mild to moderate but unfortunately, acne is still acne and any amount of it can put a damper on anyone's self confidence. There are lots of acne stories out there and it makes you realize you are not alone. This is my acne story about how Acne.org helped me jump start the skin clearing process.


Failed Attempts


During my teenage years I had a moderate amount of acne on my forehead and on my back and I was embarrassed to be seen in backless clothing, I felt like I tried all the acne face washes and creams and gels there were in the drugstore shelves, including Proactiv, but nothing seemed to reduce the amount of acne I had.

I went to the dermatologist a couple times and was prescribed Tretinoin cream and Retin-A gel. These products reduced the amount of acne I had but after multiple tubes, the change wasn't significant enough- my acne was still noticeable and it took a toll on my self confidence. I even had to retouch my skin in photos in Photoshop before posting them online.

The Miracle Products


The summer before I started college, I watched some videos of other people's acne stories and one video stood out to me more than others. It was MakeupByLeinaBaaaby's inspirational Skin Care Miracle video that gave me hope (you can watch it here). She mentions products from Acne.org and after doing some research, I decided to purchase the Complete Acne Treatment Kit for a little over $40.



This kit includes:

• 8 oz. Cleanser
• 8 oz. Treatment (Benzoyl Peroxide – 2.5%)
• 8 oz. Moisturizer with Licochalcone

(I loved the cleanser so much that I bought the 16 oz bottle of it!)

The products are important to have, but so is the process. Acne.org gives explains the Acne.org Regimen in detail (you can read about it here) but the key is to be as gentle as possible. This means NO washcloths, NO face cleansing brushes, and NO aggressive rubbing with your hands or towel. This process is to be done in the morning and at night. In a nutshell, this is what I did:

• First I splashed water onto my face. If I was in the shower, I would just let the water run over my face without using my hands.

• Next I would dispense two pumps of the cleanser into my hands and create a rich, foamy lather. It is important to only wash your face using your fingertips, creating as little contact as possible.

• To rinse off the cleanser, I would either splash the water onto my face or just let the water coming from the showerhead wash it all off. Let the water do all the work.

• When your face is completely dry, it is time to apply the treatment. Like the cleanser, the treatment must be applied with a gentle motion from the fingertips on the entire face (except your eyebrows because it will bleach them).

• After 5-20 minutes of drying time, moisturizer must be applied in the same way. And voilĂ ! You are done!

Some important things to note- if you are allergic to benzoyl peroxide, this is not the product for you. Also, your skin might be very sensitive and might seem irritated initially, but this is part of the process. Just make sure you keep up with your moisturizer and avoid the sun as much as possible!

After a couple months, I noticed a drastic change in my skin and couldn't believe how well these products worked! I ended up placing two more orders. Beware though, the treatment is very drying and requires dedication do your moisturizer.

What I Do Now


I used the Acne.org products for two years and my skin cleared up so much that I felt like I didn't need them anymore. It was very time consuming and I became lazy. Luckily I have found a bunch of products that work for me.

My favorite products to use now are:

• Philosophy Purity One-Step Facial Cleanser
• Philosophy The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash
• LUSH Ocean Salt Scrub
• Alba Botanic AcneDote Deep Pore Wash
• St. Ives Green Tea Scrub
• Philosophy The Microdelivery Peel
• Boscia Luminizing Black Mask
• Philosophy The Oxygen Peel
• LUSH Tea Tree Toner Water
• Alba Botanic AcneDote Oil Control Lotion
• The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream

But it is more than just having a good cleanser and moisturizer. To achieve clearer skin, you must first learn how to be kind to your skin. I made some lifestyle changes that help maintain my clearer skin.

Only touch your face after washing your hands with soap and water.

Wet your face with warm water before applying cleanser to open up your pores and rinse with cool water afterwards. Wash your face every day in the morning and evening and limit the amount of exfoliating scrubs to a few times a week, especially if you have sensitive skin.

It is also important to moisturize. Without moisturizer, your body will think it is dry and will overproduce oil, resulting in oily skin!

Being kind to your skin also means...

Sleeping at least 7 hours a night
Staying hydrated by drinking as close to 64 ounces of water a day as you can
Being active for at least an hour a day
Eating balanced meals
• Avoiding greasy foods and limiting the amount of junk food
Washing your makeup brushes at least one every two weeks

It is often difficult to do all these things, but it makes a world of difference for your skin. Personally, if I don't get enough sleep or eat a lot of junk food, I usually notice my skin breaking out within a few days after. Nobody's perfect. I am far from having perfect skin, but sometimes having breakouts is just a reminder that I am not giving my body what it needs.

If you are discouraged by your acne, just hang in there. It will get better!